Mirroring stimulus display to an iPhone

Hi Chris,

Is it technically feasible to run a light version of the client simply showing a low-res (and, if needed, a few seconds delayed) copy of the stimulus window on an iPhone? This may seem like a frivolous feature but we actually will have use for it.

Thanks,
-Mehrdad

Hi Mehrdad,

This is technically possible, but I suspect it would work poorly in practice.

The scenario you describe entails three basic tasks, all of which must execute on the Mac running MWServer:

1. Capturing frames from the graphics hardware driving the stimulus display
  2. Encoding those frames, in real time, into H.264 video
  3. Broadcasting those frames over the network

Task #1 requires copying the contents of the frame buffer from VRAM to main memory, which is a time-consuming operation that will degrade (possibly severely) MWorks’ display-update performance. Task #2 is going to be CPU and/or GPU intensive, again impacting MWorks’ performance. Task #3 probably won’t be too detrimental to system performance, but getting it working would take significant development effort (though perhaps some existing third-party software could do the job).

I think a better approach would be to handle this not in software but with dedicated hardware (something like this, perhaps). That said, I believe Evan mentioned that you had tried something similar and hadn’t been happy with the results. Do you recall the specific problems you had?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Best,
-Mehrdad