MWClient crash with Matlab 2013a

Chris,

When I use MWClient 0.5 with MATLAB_2013a, the client crashes on startup. It works with 2012b. I’m attaching the crash report.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I’m out of the office this week, but I’ll look in to this when I’m back on Monday.

Chris

Thanks. No rush. I’ve reverted to 2012b and I’ll be able to run with this for a while.
Mark

Hi Mark,

I’ve reproduced this crash on my workstation. It looks like the versions of Boost used by MWorks and MATLAB are stepping on each others’ toes and corrupting memory. I don’t yet know if there’s a fix for the problem.

For the moment, I think sticking with R2012b is the right move.

Chris

Thanks, and keep us posted.
Mark

I have the same Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Hi Mark et al.,

This problem is fixed in the current nightly build. You should now be able to use MATLAB R2013a with the MATLAB client window.

The issue arose because MATLAB and MWorks link against different versions of Boost, which led to the dynamic linker sometimes binding a symbol to one version when the other was needed. The solution was for MWorks to build Boost using a custom namespace.

Mostly for my own future reference, here are a couple of resources that proved very useful in understanding this problem:

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, Chris. Have a great week,
Mark