Mworks Stimulus Question

Hi Chris,

I have an experiment we want to run which involves showing 840 videos once. However, these videos have a particular order in which they need to be seen, and we want to track any that needed to be repeated if the monkey broke fixation during that trial.

I have 30 folders named Seq_*, each has a sequence of 28 videos, vid_*.mp4.

I want to show all videos from Seq_1 in order, then all videos from Seq_2 and so on. What is the best way to go about showing these videos in the correct order, and can we somehow tag them so we know which sequence they are from?

Thank you,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I’m working on an example to demonstrate an approach you could take.

One question: How do you want to handle the repeated videos? If the monkey breaks fixation duration a sequence, do you need to repeat the whole sequence, or will you just repeat the specific video(s) during which fixation was broken?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much! Just repeating that one video if the monkey breaks fixation is fine. I think it sort of tracks those repetitions with fixation failures, as long as we have a way to see how many times each video was repeated (if necessary).

Thanks again!
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the additional info.

Here’s the example experiment. It presents four sequences, each of which contains three videos. Each video is selected and loaded as needed, based on the current values of the variables current_seq and current_vid. If fixation is broken while a video is playing, the experiment appends the pair of seq/vid numbers to the list in variable repeated_videos; it then restarts the video.

When the experiment completes, repeated_videos will contain the full list of all repetitions. For example, if Seq1/vid_2.mp4 was repeated twice, and Seq4/vid_3.mp4 was repeated once, the final value of repeated_videos will be [[1,2], [1,2], [4,3]].

I hope the example makes sense. If you have any questions or need help adapting this approach to your experiment, please let me know!

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris! That worked perfectly, I appreciate the help!