MWorks on new Mac Pro

Hi Chris,

I am a postdoc working together with Mark Histed on a mouse project. I’m thinking about buying a new Mac Pro for my experiment but was not sure if MWorks would run properly on it. Do you know of any users that have employed MWorks successfully on the new Mac Pro?

Thanks a lot,
Bram

Hi Bram,

Do you know of any users that have employed MWorks successfully on the new Mac Pro?

No, I’m not aware of any users running MWorks on a 2013 Mac Pro, but I anticipate that it will work just fine. In my mind, the only potential concern is the possibility of bugs/instability in the (at least somewhat) new graphics drivers for its video cards. (While I haven’t heard of any specific issues that could affect MWorks, graphics drivers are always a bit of a wildcard.) Of course, if you buy one and do run into issues using MWorks, then I’ll do my best to fix them ASAP, as this is definitely a piece of hardware we want to support.

One point worth noting: While previous Mac Pros with multiple graphics cards could use any or all of the cards to drive displays, the 2013 model drives all displays from a single card; the other one is dedicated to GPU compute tasks. So while the older models let you devote an entire graphics card to your stimulus display (which was an advantage in that MWorks wasn’t competing for GPU time with the rest of the system), the new one does not. That said, the new cards pack some very serious graphics-processing power, so one of them ought to be able to drive two displays without any trouble.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

That’s very useful information. I’ll buy one and keep you posted.
Thanks a lot,
Bram