Problem Loading EyeLink Experiment

Hello,

I’m having trouble loading a minimal eyelink demo, and could use some advice. Loading fails with the following message on the server console:

ERROR: Failed to create object. 
Extended information:
	reason: No factory for object type: iodevice/eyelink
	object_type: iodevice/eyelink
	ref_id: idp105544663683720
	component: eyelink
	parser_context: mw_create

Here’s the experiment file:

var eye_rx = 0
var eye_ry = 0

iodevice/eyelink eyelink (
    tracker_ip = '100.1.1.1'
    eye_rx = eye_rx
    eye_ry = eye_ry
     data_interval = 1ms
    )

protocol {
    eyelink_tracker_setup (
        device = eyelink
        calibration_type = HV13        
        )

start_io_device (eyelink)

wait (600s)
}

I believe I’ve correctly installed and configured the system, as the EyeLink SRVersion and Track applications are working.

MWorks seems to work otherwise (I can control the screen, Arduino, etc.). Not sure what I’m missing.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

Update: I’m getting this error with the Nightly build. If I revert to Version 0.10, the problem goes away and eyelink works normally.

This is with MacOS 11.6.2 on an M1 mac mini.

Thanks again,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Update: I’m getting this error with the Nightly build. If I revert to Version 0.10, the problem goes away and eyelink works normally.

This is with MacOS 11.6.2 on an M1 mac mini.

That explains it. The current MWorks nightly build provides native support for both Apple Silicon (e.g. your Mac mini’s M1) and Intel processors. However, the EyeLink libraries used by MWorks only support Intel.

To use MWorks’ EyeLink interface on an M1 Mac, you need to install Rosetta 2 and configure MWServer to launch as an Intel process. (MWClient can continue to run natively, unless you’re using the MATLAB window, in which case it, too, must run as an Intel process.)

Cheers,
Chris Stawarz

Thanks! That makes sense and it fixed my problem.