Pull remote data files through client?

Hi Chris,

I posted a bunch of questions on the forum yesterday, but there’s one in particular that I’d like to get an answer to soon if possible: is there a way to pull data files through the client remotely? It doesn’t seem to be the case, but I want to make sure. Because the server machine in this case will not be connected to the wired MIT network, I can’t access it through the network browser, nor can I get a hostname or static IP address from MIT with which to connect and download the data. I’m looking into signing up for a dynamic DNS service, but I want to make sure there isn’t an easier way before I do that.

Thanks,

• Evan

Hi Evan,

No, there’s no way to pull data files through the client. That’s a feature we should think about adding in the future.

Because the server machine in this case will not be connected to the wired MIT network, I can’t access it through the network browser, nor can I get a hostname or static IP address from MIT with which to connect and download the data.

In that case, how do you identify the machine to MWClient? Are you just giving it the server’s current DHCP-assigned address?

Another option might be to use Bonjour to locate the machine. That is, find/set the server machine’s name in System Preferences → Sharing → Computer Name, and then look up that name in the network browser. Presumably, this would require your Mac and the server to be on the same wifi network, and even then I’m not sure it would work. Still, it may be worth trying.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I removed this question from my big list. I’m going to use
dynamic DNS for now, but this could be a nice feature in the future.

• Evan

Also, dynamic DNS works for the client-server connection as well. I guess
that is obvious but I didn’t think of it at the time. Two birds one stone.

• Evan