Questions about MWK2 format

Hey Chris,

So we’re gearing up to start recording, and I’ve updated to the newest MWorks 9. I ran a dry run of a recording session with the monkey training, and I noticed that the data files are now in mwk2. I checked the changelog and indeed there is a new data file structure. I then started to go through the following questions: 1 - is this backward compatible (so far it doesn’t look so), 2 - is there a present and easy way to import the data into matlab (so far id doesn’t look so, it looks like it needs a python script), 3 - can I somehow get the EXACT same data and structure I was getting with getEvents (I’d like your take on this), 4 - can I opt to save in .mwk format. Can you expand on these 4 questions, hopefully I’m missing something with them. Thanks a bunch!!

Travis

Hi Travis,

1 - is this backward compatible

2 - is there a present and easy way to import the data into matlab

3 - can I somehow get the EXACT same data and structure I was getting with getEvents

The Python and MATLAB data file tools in MWorks 0.9 can read both MWK and MWK2 files. The interfaces (e.g. the inputs and outputs of getEvents) have not changed. The only difference is that events extracted from MWK2 files are ordered by event code then time, whereas events from MWK files are in the order they were written to the file (meaning they are generally, but not strictly, ordered by time).

Older versions of MWorks can’t read MWK2 files, because the format didn’t exist when they were released.

4 - can I opt to save in .mwk format

No.

Cheers,
Chris