Unpacking mwk files with Windows

Hi Chris,

Hope you had a good holiday season! Elia in our lab is wanting to look at some .mwk files, but he is a member of the Church of Windows And Linux, and does not wish to lay his hands upon a filthy Mac (his words, not mine…but I understand the sentiment). I sent him the matlab script from /Application Support/Mworks/Scripting/Matlab, but he says it relies on a compiled mex file in the mac format and cannot run on his computer. Would it be possible to compile that file in a windows mex format so he can unpack the data files? If not, is there a good way to save an unpacked database so I can unpack it and send it to him?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Would it be possible to compile that file in a windows mex format so he can unpack the data files?

No. See this discussion for more info.

Other folks have developed tools for reading MWorks data files on non-Mac systems, but I can’t provide any support for this. See this comment for details.

If not, is there a good way to save an unpacked database so I can unpack it and send it to him?

If you’re using MATLAB, you could read out all the events with getEvents, then write the resulting array to a .mat file. If you’re using Python, maybe try pickle?

Cheers,
Chris

Ah, too bad but makes sense. Pickling it could work but won’t the pickles
be really huge? I really only want to send him the eye movements – would
there be a simple way to unpack just those and save them to a csv?

I really only want to send him the eye movements – would there be a simple way to unpack just those and save them to a csv?

Well, you could extract the events you want, then write out their values using csv.writer. That seems pretty simple.

Chris