Developing a plug-in to interface Tobii + MWorks

Continuing the discussion from Using Tobii for eye tracking with Mworks:

I’m looking to add eye tracking to my iPad-based testing set up and Tobii’s Pro Spark seems like the ideal candidate for our purposes. Has there been any progress on a plug-in for interface between the two systems?

Hi Charlie,

The Tobii Pro SDK supports macOS but not iOS, so using the Pro Spark with an iPad isn’t going to be an option. If you want to use one with a Mac, then I would need to create a new MWorks plugin to interface with it, as described in the previous discussion.

There hasn’t been any progress since that discussion, as the user opted for a different solution. I do think that adding support for Tobii trackers would be a good thing, so if you want to move forward with it, please let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

It’s a bummer Tobii doesn’t support iOS. I’ll have to think about other options. Do you know of any iPad-compatible eye trackers one could potentially use with MWorks? Or is it totally out of the question perhaps until Apple eventually releases the accessibility feature? (Apple announces new accessibility features, including Eye Tracking - Apple).

Re: working on Tobii-macOS support, I agree it’d be a really useful tool to have! I’d be able to help troubleshoot remotely, if need be. Our lab currently has the Tobii 4c model, though, so I’m not sure if that would work for this purpose. What are your thoughts?

Hi Charlie,

Do you know of any iPad-compatible eye trackers one could potentially use with MWorks?

A quick web search turned up some assistive devices that let a user control an iPad with their eyes. It sounds like the OS lets these devices control a pointer on the screen. It’s not clear whether an app like MWorks could get eye positions from them. (My guess is that it can’t, but I could be wrong.)

Or is it totally out of the question perhaps until Apple eventually releases the accessibility feature?

Interesting. I hadn’t heard about the built-in eye tracking support Apple is adding. I guess that will eliminate the need for the devices I mentioned above? I wonder if it would be possible for MWorks to use this feature to perform its own eye tracking. Again, probably not, but it’s worth investigating.

In any case, I don’t think this has any bearing on whether Tobii could support their eye trackers on iOS. However, there may be other technical limitations that prevent it.

Our lab currently has the Tobii 4c model, though, so I’m not sure if that would work for this purpose.

The 4c appears to be part of Tobii’s gaming product line. It looks like those products only support Windows, so that’s not going to help us. If you have access to a device supported by the Tobii Pro SDK (supported eye trackers are listed near the bottom of the page), then that should do the job. Also, the whole process would be much simpler and faster if we could arrange for me to borrow the hardware for a while.

Cheers,
Chris