Recommended iPad for MWorks

Hi Chris,
we are intending to purchase some Ipads to be used as touch screen devices with Mworks. Could you advise us on which Ipad with the largest screen available would support Mworks?
Thanks for your help with this,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

All currently-available iPad models are compatible with MWorks. The base model (10.2-inch display, just called “iPad”) should be completely adequate. If you want the largest possible screen, you can opt for the 12.9‑inch iPad Pro. However, that costs more than 3x as much as the base iPad and doesn’t offer much in the way of functional benefits for running MWorks, so I don’t recommend it unless you absolutely need the larger display.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations with regard to specs?

We intend to build something comparable to the XBI made in Goettingen but for smaller animals (treeshrews).

That means the ipad will need to be able to run mWorks and to trigger TTL pulses via an interface (NI card, teensy…) in order to activate a reward pump.

I would also be good if the ipad could have access to a wireless or wired camera in case the in built camera does not suffice.

Thanks for your help with this,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Do you have any recommendations with regard to specs?

I would just get the base options: 32GB of storage, Wi-Fi only.

That means the ipad will need to be able to run mWorks and to trigger TTL pulses via an interface (NI card, teensy…) in order to activate a reward pump.

Currently, your only option is to use a Firmata-compatible device via Bluetooth low energy (BLE). Some folks in the DiCarlo Lab at MIT are running MWorks on iPad’s for in-cage training and using Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE boards to drive the reward pump. The Arduino Nano 33 BLE also looks like a good option, though I would need to add support for it in the Firmata firmware.

If you’d prefer to use a wired connection, I think it would be possible to communicate with a Firmata device via MIDI. (The Firmata protocol is actually based on MIDI.) However, this will require some work in both MWorks and the Firmata firmware.

I would also be good if the ipad could have access to a wireless or wired camera in case the in built camera does not suffice.

Unfortunately, I don’t think iOS supports external cameras.

Cheers,
Chris

Great. Thanks, Chris.

Marcus